Monday, March 1, 2010

The Way It Is Delivered


It is extremely important to be conscious of your body language when you present yourself in front of other people. You could not have said a word yet, but based on how your stance is, if your arms are crossed, if you have a smile on your face, or if you greet someone with a hand shake or a hug you will be judged. As a part of our human nature, we judge people based upon these types of signals. You can totally blow a first impression before a word comes out of your mouth!

Not only does body language matter, but your tone of voice. There is always a nicer way to say something critical. Today I approached someone I didn't know behind a help desk. I had previously visited the same desk last week regarding some information. However, today when I was following up with this new person she was extremely rude and asked me who had told me such incorrect information. I immediately labeled her in my head, "what a bitch, calm down lady" I am sure no one wants to be labeled this even if they do not know they are being judged. I do not know who that woman is or if she is a nice person. But, her tone of voice completely turned me off.
Is it really that hard to treat people with respect?
She could have also explained herself, why was this such a big deal? What was driving her words?

I am in a leadership position in an organization on campus and sometimes have to tell information to the members that they will be disappointed about. I have now learned that its important to practice the delivery of that information. If they know that there is a specific reason for something, they will be more likely to accept it. Also, how you look and your tone is often more important than the words you say!

We have so many ways we can communicate with people, but you need to consider how you deliver your words in all ways!




No comments:

Post a Comment