Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Creativity is everywhere.




I am planning on studying abroad in Italy this summer and last night I had an information meeting about the program I will be attending. I will be taking two classes: Art History and Intro to Drawing while I am there. When the director of the program spoke about the drawing class, she really emphasized that we didn't need to have any previous drawing experience. She said " I can teach any of you to draw, last year I even taught an Accounting major how to draw." This made me relieved but also mad. I am an Accounting major and Advertising minor. I really enjoy both fields and consider myself both a creative thinker and an analytical problem solver. Why can't someone be good at both accounting and drawing?

I do not understand why Accounting has the stereotype it does. Why is it that people assume that if you are an accountant you are boring, introverted and not creative. This past summer I worked at my moms accounting firm and met her co worker who is extremely bubbly and outgoing. I also recently interviewed an accounting manager for one of my classes and she said he job varied every day and is very enjoyable. As a manager of people she has to utilize creative ways to motivate,oversee and reward her workers.

Creativity doesn't necessarily come with drawing, painting or any of the fine arts. Creativity is important everywhere and all sorts of people are creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment