Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Healthy Competition



In high school I ran track for 4 years. These pictures are from my best 110 meter hurdle race senior year. I completed the entire race in just 17.4 seconds, but I certainly spent many many practices preparing for it. We had practice about 6 days a week and I remember many days mumbling to myself "why am I doing this?" as I grit my teeth through the pain of the run. However, I always love the feeling after I run, well after I catch my breath I guess. I no longer run like I did in high school though because I do not have time or the motivation of a team and competition pushing me. I really do miss it honestly. It is so hard to motivate myself to simply just get over to the track and actually do the run. However, this is definitely not uncommon. Most people need a reason to motivate them to do something difficult. My coach motivated me but mostly the competition between my teammates for a varsity spot, and against other teams in races did. The tough practices were worth the hard work once the day of the meet came around. This is true for other things in life besides track. I treat my schoolwork in a similar way and I suppose I may also be motivated by competition in the workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment