Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny




Ever since we were kids we grow up with characters like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus that are connected to the Christian religious holidays of Easter and Christmas. However, have these icons become more important than the actual thing we are celebrating. Many of your holidays have become commercialized. There are so many reasons to give and receive gifts.

For me, I know that I grew up leaving milk and cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve and searched for eggs the Easter bunny left on Easter. All of this was great when I was young, but I still went to church and understood the meaning of the holiday. I feel like there are many people today that celebrate these holidays without understanding them truly.

Christmas and Easter are only a few of the holidays that have become completely commercialized. They have also generated so much spending from buying Christmas cards, to lights and tree decorations, to the actual gifts you put under the tree. Don't get me wrong I love festivity and tradition, but I am just realizing that our culture is vastly a consumer culture where holidays have been commercialized.

No comments:

Post a Comment