Saturday, February 6, 2010

Productivity, NOT burnout

I find it strange about when I am the most productive with my time. There are some days when I can not seem to focus my energies on any particular task, especially when my list is very long and daunting. However, nights like tonight, when I have nothing pressing to do for tomorrow and when I should be sleeping, I suddenly feel an urge to be productive. Its like I'm on a roll. Perfect take advance of it.

You know what? It is okay to not always be doing something productive that will lead to accomplishing your goals or addressing your responsibilities. And I think that by doing so you actually are setting yourself up for more success later on. For example, we all have to get our work done, cook, clean, do our laundry, go to meetings etc. but you can't do that for hours straight or else you will go crazy and experience something called BURNOUT. Definition: Burnout is a psychological term for the experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest.This is my evil fear.

I think it is important to be energized and in the right mindset in order to produce your best work. This takes giving yourself a mental break sometimes and be able to just have a sit on your couch. Taking breaks are important to productivity, but so is preparation. I am a preparation freak. I make a million lists and have about 4 calendars hanging on my wall by my workspace alone. This is good, but only to a certain extent. When your goals or agenda is not written on paper it is hard to remember everything and visualize what is most important to do first. This is where priorities come into play. Its hard to do what is most important and pressing when you have something else you need to do that is easier. So, writing a to do list helps productivity, but can also become counterproductive if you find yourself making lists of things you need to do more than actually beginning to do anything. Well then, take into consideration this strategy when you feel overwhelmed. And, in order to prevent burnout take some time to just chill and let your mind wander to hamburger, pizza, penguin, star, celebrity, gossip, TV, media, family, friends, fun, loud, laugh, run, jump, sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment